login

Thursday, February 18, 2016

People of Jacksonville- Jake Humble

Former Georgia Southern University student, Jake Humble, spoke about the trials and rewards in his journey that will ultimately lead him to Hilsong College Australia.

Humble studies Ministerial Leadership which is a major designed to prepare Christians to serve in leadership and support roles at churches and other faith-based organizations.

When asked why he chose this major specifically Humble said, “Growing up I always had a passion for helping other people.”

Humble said he never understood why people always went to him for advice but it seemed as though he always said the right thing at the right time. With that in mind it made him want to pursue some sort of leadership role.

With his passion to be working with the youth, Humble is not sure whether he will be speaking on stage or a pastor on staff. Humble said his role in leadership could even lead him to missions, traveling around the world.

Humble said, “I’m not sure where I’ll be, but it will be somewhere in ministry.”

He was not always this certain about being in ministry. After his first year at Georgia Southern, he moved back to Jacksonville and found himself coasting by. Humble wasn’t sure what he wanted to do or where he wanted to do it, he just knew that his passion had something to do with going public or being in front of people.

Humble said, “Back then I thought it was in the entertainment industry, modeling, acting, theatre, photography, music you name it, I was probably a part of it at some point in my life time.”

Knowing that, he began to training with a friend at a church on how to be a sound engineer.

Humble said, “Looking back now I see that was just the beginning. It planted a seed that I never knew was going to ever develop into what it has today.”

After training in the church, Humble went on to travel with a band known worldwide. He said that this was a huge opportunity for him to finally start pursuing what he thought to be his career. As it turned out, this lifestyle was not for him.

Humble said, “I quickly learned that sex drugs and rock and roll was not just a phrase and actually ways of life for these people.”

The week he got home from his tour, his mother who has always been his biggest supporter had the idea to get Humble and his brother to go to church with her. They found themselves at Eleven22 that Sunday.

At this church service something really stood out to Humble and made him want to get involved.

Humble said, “I quickly found myself wanting to get involved somehow and grabbed the info card in the seatback in front of me, filled it out and turned it in. Just a few days later I got a call from a girl on staff at the church wanting me to start serving with them in their children’s ministry running sound.”

Shortly after, Humble’s attention was brought to another church, Celebration. This is where things really changed for him.

Humble said, “I finally gave my life to Jesus and knew what calling I had on my life. I knew I wanted to be in ministry. It brings me all the way back around full circle to the original passion I had knowing I wanted to help people along with the other passion I grew into of wanting it to be something publically.”

At Celebration he spent a few years in the school of ministry and got an internship with their youth ministry called FUSE.

Humble said, “Being involved in the youth ministry has given me the opportunity to accomplish both of my passions.”

Just this past year, Humble went to a conference in New York held by a global church called Hilsong. At the conference he was introduced to people involved in the Hilsong New York Church. Through these people he kept making friends from that community.

Humble said, “I was only in NYC for 3 days and I got to attend conference, see a new city, make a ton of new friends, SERVE at a church I’ve never been to and gain a family I never expected on gaining that weekend.”

The thought of Hilsong was constantly reoccurring in his head so finally Humble decided that Hilsong College Australia was the place he needed to be.


Humble needs to raise $8,500 in order to attend this college, and has set up a “Go Fund Me” account to do so. So far he has raised $580 and plans on being there July of 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment